The CDS written exam consists of three papers, English, GK and Mathematics. Mathematics is not meant for OTA candidates. The level of CDS exam is certainly of an above average difficulty level the conducting body of CDS is UPSC. Let us have a look at the expected syllabus for the written exam of CDS Exam.
- Number System-Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental operations addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions.
- Unitary method-time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
- Elementary Number Theory-Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2,3,4,5,9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorization Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
- Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M. Theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered ).
- Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear in-equations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or in-equations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions.
- Set language and set notation, rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
- Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on
- Properties of angles at a point,
- Parallel lines,
- Sides and angles of a triangle,
- Congruency of triangles,
- Similar triangles,
- Concurrence of medians and altitudes,
- Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square,
- Circles and its properties including tangents and normals,