Apart from participating in various exercises and conducting incomparable operations, the Indian Army is no less behind in upgrading and modernising its equipment and machinery. This year proved to be the best one in technological inductions, advancement and sports for Indian army. Some of these are:
- International Day of Yoga – 2016: This year approximately 4 lakh Jawans and Officers participated in the International Day of Yoga – 2016 across the entire length and breadth of the nation.
- Three World Records Established By Indian Army Dare Devils:
Dare Devil team of Corps of Signals set a new world record on 09 September 2016 at 1 Signal Training Centre, Jabalpur. The world record for ‘longest continuous ride standing on the seat of a motorcycle’ was broken by Capt Manpreet Singh (Team Captain “Dare Devils”) covering a distance of 75.2km in 2 hrs 24 min and 12 secs.
The world record for ‘Handle Bar Riding on a Motorcycle’ under fresh category was broken by Lance Havildar Sandeep Kumar, covering a distance of 46.9km in 01 hr 27 min and 31 secs.
The world record for ‘Fastest 100m running with a football balanced on the head’ was broken by Subedar Azad Singh with a time of 17.7 secs.
- The release of Beta Version of Integrated Quartermaster Package (IQMP): The beta version was released by Vice-Chief of the Army Staff Lt Gen MMS Rai, on 29 January 2016 as a pre-cursor to the final release of IQMP. As part of ongoing efforts, DGIS with the help of M/s Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. has developed IQMP for automating all logistics functions at the unit level. It will also cater for the exchange of info and data with Logistics Management Support applications through CMA (Central Management Application) hosted at Army Headquarters Computer Centre. This avoids replication and achieves the aim of automation.
- Colour Presentation to Signals Corps: COAS Gen Dalbir Singh presented the President’s Colours to the Corps of Signals of Indian Army at Gauri Shankar Parade Ground of 1 Signal Training Centre, Jabalpur on 15 February 2016.
- Defence Communication Network: The Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar, dedicated the Defence Communication Network (DCN) to the Nation on 30 June 2016 in New Delhi. He complimented the three Services on putting in place a communication system to facilitate joint manship. He further stressed on the need for keeping the network secure.
- Army Skill Training Centre: The pilot project of the Army Skill Training Centre (ASTC) was inaugurated by President AWWA Mrs Namita Suhag on 22 August 2016 in Delhi. The Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy, COAS Gen Dalbir Singh and other senior officials were present. With the inauguration of the ASTC, the Indian Army now embarks on a new mission by bringing Army spouses and wards into the folds of the skilling landscape. Army personnel and their spouses/wards who attend training at ASTC will receive skill certificate from NSDC and will become eligible for employment/ entrepreneurship under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna scheme.
- ‘Make In India’ Portal On Army Website Launched: COAS Gen Dalbir Singh formally announced the establishment of the Army Design Bureau (ADB) on 31 August 2016 during an Army Seminar on ‘Make Projects’ held in New Delhi. The COAS also launched the ‘Make in India’ Portal on the Army Website.
- Inauguration of Berhampore Military Station: Berhampore Military station in West Bengal was inaugurated by the President Shri Pranab Mukherjee on 8 October 2016. The military station located 25 Km from Murshidabad has been developed as a model military station to include state-of-the-art training and administrative facilities for the Army.
- Cardiothoracic Vascular Clinic Inaugurated: COAS Gen Dalbir Singh inaugurated the Cardio Thoracic Vascular Clinic on 16 April 2016. The clinic is a part of the newly constructed 200 bedded Cardio Thoracic Vascular Science Centre in the premises of Army Hospital (Research & Referral), Delhi.