Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba took over as the Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC). He will assume charge from the afternoon of 31st December when Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha retires.
He received the COSC baton from outgoing Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha at a ceremony in South Block, New Delhi.
The Chief of Army Staff Gen Dalbir Singh and Principal Staff Officers of all three Services and HQ Integrated Defence Staff were present on the occasion.
- The Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) is composed of the most senior military personnel in the Indian Armed Forces who advise on operational military matters and the preparation and conduct of military operations.
- The committee consists of the chairman who is the senior most among the heads of the three forces.
- In this case, the senior most head of a force is ACM Arup Raha followed by Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag. But since both are retiring on the same date, Adm Sunil Lanba is the next senior most head of a force. Hence, he took over as the current Chairman of COSC.
ACM Arup Raha’s Contribution as Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee:
- Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha, the outgoing Chairman, COSC had taken over as Chairman COSC on 1st August 2014.
- Under his stewardship as Chairman COSC, the Services received a vital boost in jointmanship.
- During his tenure, the Defence Communication Network got operationalised and training standards of the Tri Service Institutes such as NDA, DSSC and CDM were enhanced.
- The much awaited National War Museum got approval from the government.
- He was instrumental in enhancing the role of military diplomacy with friendly foreign countries.
- Various Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Operations during crisis situations both within and outside India such as J&K floods, Chennai floods, evacuation of Indian and foreign nationals from Yemen and Nepal Earthquake were successfully conducted.
- He also played a pivotal role in the formulation of DPP–16 thereby streamlining and fast tracking Defence Procurement which has so far been plagued by laborious procedures and long delays.
About New COSC Chairman, Admiral Sunil Lanba:
- He assumed command of the Indian Navy on 31st May 2016.
- He is a Navigation and Direction specialist and has served onboard numerous ships in both the Eastern and Western Fleets.
- He is an alumnus of National Defence Academy (NDA), Defence Services Staff College (DSSC), Wellington, College of Defence Management (CDM) and Royal College of Defence Studies, London.
- During his versatile and distinguished career, he has commanded Frigates, Destroyers and was the Executive Officer of the aircraft carrier, Viraat.
- He has held many coveted appointments such as Fleet Operations Officer of the Western Fleet, Chief of Staff Southern Naval Command, Chief of Staff Eastern Naval Command and Flag Officer Commanding–in–Chief of the Southern and the Western Naval Commands.
- Admiral Lanba also has had instructional tenures at NDA, CDM and National Defence College.
- In recognition of his dedication towards service, Admiral Lanba has been awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal and the Ati Vishishit Seva Medal by the President.