Delhi Police celebrated its 70th Raising Day on 16th February 2017 in New Delhi. The Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir was Chief Guest at the ceremony who inspected the Guard of Honour on the occasion.
Highlights of the Ceremony:
- The Minister cautioned the citizens against internal terrorism but at the same time, he expressed his confidence in Delhi Police force, which is well equipped to fight any kind of contingency.
- He stressed upon the friendly police force and said that the interests of women, children and senior citizens should be given top priority.
- He highlighted about the enhancement of Nirbhaya Fund by around ₹25 Cr and assured that the Home Ministry shall have a positive outlook towards requirements of the police force in its efforts in Modernization and Digitization.
- The Chief Guest conferred medals on 44 police personnel for Gallantry, President Medal of Distinguished Service and Police Medal for Meritorious Service.
- Delhi Commissioner of Police Shri Amulya Patnaik appreciated the various past initiatives of Delhi Police, including mobile apps and help lines for lost report, senior citizens, women & children in distress, police clearance and traffic updates.
16th February is celebrated as the Raising Day to commemorate the day DW Mehra was appointed as Delhi’s first Inspector General in 1948.