The Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) is amongst one of the best options available to a medical graduate in our country. As an officer in the Army Medical Corps (AMC), a candidate is liable to be employed in the Indian Army, Navy or Air Force in any part of the country or world. The Armed Forces offer a prestigious and professionally satisfying career for doctors as commissioned officers with the high status associated with Group A gazetted posts of Central Government.
You can join the Armed Forces as a Doctor – MBBS, BDS, MDS or other PG Specialisation.
Recruitment to the medical posts is through Permanent Commission (PC) and Short Service Commission (SSC).
50% of the graduates passing out from the Armed Forces Medical College Pune are taken directly into Permanent Commission and the rest are offered Short Service Commission. Doctors from civil medical colleges are offered only SSC entry. The tenure of SSC officers is of five years, extendable by another nine years in two spells first of five years and second of four years, up to a maximum of 14 years. AFMC graduates offered SSC are required to serve for a minimum period of 7 years extendable by another 7 years.
Short Service Commission
Upper Age Limit- 45 Years
Every year or twice a year, Army Medical Corps invites application from doctors (male and female) to join as Short Service Commissioned Medical Officers. Eligible candidates are called for an interview at New Delhi to assess their merit and suitability for grant of Short Service Commission in the Army Medical Corps and subsequent secondment to the Indian Army/Air Force/Navy. Based on the results of the interview, candidates who have been shortlisted are subjected to medical examination at designated Armed Forces hospitals in New Delhi. Medically fit candidates are granted commission subject to verification procedures as deemed necessary as required for commissioning. Postgraduate degree holders i.e. MD/MS/MCh/DM may also apply.
SSC officers can appear in their departmental interviews for grant of Permanent Commission (DPC) at any time after completion of 2 (two) years SSC service and before completion of 9 ½ (nine years and six months) years of SSC service subject to fulfilment of other eligibility criteria. Also, there should be no break in service. The age limit for granting PC for different professional educational qualification are :
- MBBS – Not more than 30 years on 31 Dec of the year of application for DPC.
- PG Diploma – Not more than 31 years on 31 Dec of the year of application for DPC.
- PG Degree – Not more than 35 years on 31 Dec of the year of application for DPC.
Current Affairs questions will be from last 5-7 months (for AFCAT, NDA, CDS, TA)
- Applicants must possess a medical qualification of an Indian University or a foreign medical qualification recognised by the Medical Council of India. They must also be registered with any of the state councils/MCI or equivalent registering authority.
- Incentives: An antedate of 3 years seniority for postgraduates and 2 years for postgraduate diploma recognised by MCI and 6 months for a house job, done at a recognised hospital to fresh entrants.
- A doctor who has done a house job and also a postgraduate qualification will be eligible for a maximum antedate seniority of 42 months.
Army Dental Corps (ADC)
- 28 Years (for BDS)
- 30 Years (for MDS)
1. BDS with minimum 60% marks in final year / MDS from a recognised College or University.
2. Should have completed one-year rotatory internship recognised by the Dental Council of India.
3. Should be in possession of Permanent Dental Registration Certificate.
Method of Selection: Eligible candidates will be called for interview by a Board of Officers at the Army Hospital (Research & Referral) New Delhi near Dhaula Kuan, Delhi Cantt. to assess their suitability and merit for grant of Short Service Commission in the Armed Forces Medical Services.
REMOUNT VETERINARY CORPS
Only qualified male veterinary graduates can apply for Short ServiceCommission (SSC) in Remount Veterinary Corps of Indian Army.
- Age Limit: 21-32 years
- Minimum Educational Qualification: BVSc/BVSc & AH degree from any of the recognized Indian University or its equivalent foreign degree (i.e. the candidate must possess recognized veterinary qualification included in the first or second schedule of the Indian Veterinary Council Act, 1984).
Note: BVSc/BVSc & AH degree graduates, granted SSC in RVC will be considered for grant of permanent commission, only if they are below 30 years of age on the date of grant of SSC and if they qualify in the departmental permanent commission (DPC) Test within 08 years of service. They may take two attempts after completion of 02 years of service and before completion of 04 years of service. They will be eligible to take the third attempt any time during the extended tenure of their service i.e after completion of 05 years of service and before completion of 08 years of service, subject to exercise of the option for the third attempt before completion of their 05th year of initial contractual service. Likewise, MVSc
and Doctorate degree holder will be considered for grant of permanent commission, only, if they are below 32 & 34 years of age respectively on the date of grant of SSC and if they qualify in the Departmental PC Test within 08 years of service.
Best SSB Book –> Let’s Crack SSB Interview
Best AFCAT Book –> Let’s Crack AFCAT
Best EKT Book -> Let’s Crack EKT
Best CDS Book –> Let’s Crack CDS
Best NDA Book -> Let’s Crack NDA
To crack SSB and AFSB Interview get “Let’s Crack SSB Interview” Book from Flipkart. Trusted by thousands of defence aspirants
Also Download Helpful eBooks: