The NCC or National Cadet Corps is the Indian military cadet corps with its Headquarters at New Delhi. It is open to school and college students on voluntary basis. National Cadet Corps is a Tri-Services Organization, comprising the Army, Navy and Air Force, engaged in grooming the youth of the country into disciplined and patriotic citizens. NCC changes cadets’ common college life to an adventurous and thrilling journey of 3 years, teaching them to push limits at every turn of life and to set priorities straight.
The Cadets are given basic military training in small arms and parades. The officers and cadets have no liability for active military service once they complete their course but are given preference over normal candidates during selections based on the achievements in the corps.
Although NCC can’t match the standards of IMA, OTA, NA, AFA and NDA, it is a better start for the candidates who realized their dreams of joining the Indian defence after their schooling. Also, given the vast benefits, opportunities and reservation, NCC India is the largest volunteer uniformed youth organisation in the world. Today, an NCC ‘C’ certificate holder have many benefits apart from the following:
While serving, a cadet will be entitled to the following incentives and allowances:
|1||Daily Allowance||125/- p.d.||75:25|
|2||Messing Allowance||95/- p.d.||75:25|
|4||Washing & Polishing||10/- p.m.||State Govt|
|5||Amenity Grant||5/-||100% Centre|
|6||Refreshment||15/-||100% by State Govt. except for the states of J&K, NER & Sikkim where it is 100 % by the Centre|
Scholarship are awarded to cadets who passes class 10th and 12th examination at Rs 6000/- and Rs 12,000/- respectively as one-time payment. Not a lot but it surely helps to complement that pocket money by your parents. 66 cadets doing professional courses are also awarded Rs 30,000/- each for one year common for Boys and Girls cadets all over India.
Reservation in Education:
Many competitive exams have reservation for ‘C’ certificate holders in terms of awarding ranks. I remember one of my NCC friends, who had been to RDC-2017 and had scored 66,000 rank in state EAMCET. Due to this reservation and benefits, she got a seat in the university which most people below 6,000 rank struggle to get.
There are some security agencies – both private and government who prefer recruiting NCC ‘C’ certificate holders thereby giving them an edge over other candidates with a handsome pay.
For the candidates who aspire to join the defence forces, NCC ‘C’ certificate is a golden opportunity for them to go to SSB directly. These candidates are exempted from giving the common entrance exam and are called directly for SSB. NCC ‘C’ certificate holders will have following benefits over non-holders in defence as on 2017:
If a candidate clears his CDSE and subsequent SSB, he will have the following reservation in various academies. A separate merit list is prepared for NCC cadets with ’C’ certificate.
- IMA – 13-15 vacancies reserved for ‘C’ Certificate (Army Wing) holders
- INA – 05-08 vacancies reserved for ‘C’ Certificate (Naval Wing) holders
Special Entry (Men and Women):
- OTA Chennai – 50 vacancies for ‘C’ certificate holders for NCC Spl. Entry (non tech)
- AFA Hyderabad – 10% vacancies reserved for ‘C’ certificate Air Wing holders in all courses.
Recruitment as Jawan:
If a candidate wants to join the defence as as Soldier GD/clk/skt/tech/tdn cat, he will be eligible for the award of following benefits:
‘A’ cert 05 marks (GD) 05 marks (clk/skt/tech) 05 marks (tdn)
‘B’ cert 10 marks (GD) 10 marks (clk/skt/tech) 10 marks (tdn)
‘C’ cert: Holders of ‘C’ cert and who have participated in republic day parade will be exempted from CEE for rect sol clk /skt, sol tech and sol NA cat and will be awarded 100% marks in lieu of CEE.
Other Benfits of ‘C’ certificate:
- For ORs, Sailors, Airmen: 5 to 10 percent bonus marks awarded for recruitment.
- Para Military Forces: 2 to 10 bonus marks awarded for recruitment
- Department of telecommunication: Bonus marks awarded for recruitment
- CRPF: NCC cadets holding 3rd division degree eligible for recruitment to gazetted posts.
- NCC: Civilian Gliding instructors/Girl Cadet Instructors/ Whole Time Lady Officers.
- State Govts: Preference for State Services in certain States.
- Industry: Some industries give preference to NCC C certificate holders for various jobs related with the field of security.
- NCC Games: Cash awards to teams and individuals for excellence.
Non-Tangible Benfits while serving in NCC:
- Annual Training Camps: You will make a lot of friends from various schools and colleges of the city.
- Republic Day Camp at Delhi (RDC): How can anyone else get a chance to march at Rajpath while still studying?
- Para Training Camp (PTC): Selected cadet get to undergo Parajumping at PTS, Agra along with Indian commandos and get to wear the coveted “Para Wings”.
- National Integration Camp (NIC): You will make a lot of friends from various schools and colleges from all over India.
- All India Trekking Expedition: Trekking in various hillstations and other places of interest.
- All India Mountaineering Expedition: Basic and Advanced Mountaineering course for selected cadets.
- Attachments with Army Unit, Air Force Stations, Naval Base/ Establishment/ Ship/ Sea Training, Service Hospital.
- Adventure Courses: Mountaineering Basic Course, Mountaineering Advance Course, Water Skiing/Snow Skiing Courses, Snow & Ice (Condensed) Course, Sailing expedition, NRAI Matches, Scuba Diving Course
- International Outreach: Youth Exchange Programme, Foreign cruise (Navy or Coast Guard).
- Air Wing Cadets get to fly Micro light aircraft as part of their training.
NCC is not just any other organization that trains youth for the defence of the country, although it was started with that aim. But today, it has come a long way from then and the aim of NCC is developing character, comradeship, discipline, a secular outlook, the spirit of adventure and ideals of selfless service amongst young citizens. Further, it aims at creating a pool of organized, trained and motivated youth with leadership qualities in all walks of life, who will serve the Nation regardless of which career they choose.
How To Prepare for SSB Interview:
Current Affairs eBooks