The inaugural edition of Marshal Arjan Singh Memorial’ All India Hockey Tournament conducted by the Air Force Sports Control Board (AFSCB) was held in Chandigarh on May 7. Air Marshal Hemant Sharma AVSM VSM, AOC-in-C Maintenance Command declared the tournament open and it will go on till May 12.
The tournament is being organised in the memory of legendry late Marshal of Indian Air Force Arjan Singh who was an avid lover of Hockey. A recipient of Distinguished Flying Cross and Padam Vibhushan Marshal Arjan Singh was the first and only Five Star ranking officer of IAF. Hence, this tournament is named ‘Marshal Arjan Singh Memorial All India Hockey Tournament.’
- 16 teams (8 elite club teams of the country and 8 teams from the armed forces and para military forces) are set to take part in the 6-day tournament. Prominent sports personalities have also been invited to witness and grace the occasion.
- The participating teams are from India Air Force, S C Railway, GGS Lucknow, Punjab Police, Hockey Chandigarh, Punjab & Sind Bank, India Navy, BSF, Rail Coach Factory Kapurthala, Eastern Railway, Kerla & Kar Area and Dakshin Bharat Area.
- The matches will be conducted at 3 Base Repair Depot (Air Force) and Sector 42 Astro Turf Hockey Grounds in Chandigarh on league cum knock out basis.
- The winner will get a prize of Rs.2 lac and Trophy while the runner up will get 1 lac and 25,000 rupees as prize.
- Chief of the Air Staff BS Dhanoa will be the Chief Guest for the final match on May 12.
Air Force Sports Control Board
The Indian Air Force has always been in the forefront for promoting sports and games. The recently concluded Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast, Australia yielded a rich haul of 03 medals from the Air Force stables. The medal harvest is a testimony to the impetus being provided by the IAF towards sporting excellence.
In order to achieve excellence in their respective events AFSCB has developed world class sports infrastructure. He said AFSCB is also conducting Subroto Cup International Tournament for school children across the country. The IAF has also establised Air Force Boys Sports Squadron at IAF Station Jalahali (Banglore).
Marshal of Air Force Arjan Singh
The hockey tournament is in honour of the late Marshal of Indian Air Force Arjan Singh.
Marshal Arjan Singh, passed away on September 16 last year at the age of 98. He was a keen lover of hockey, and was an inspiration to the air warriors not only in the field of war, but also the field of sport.
Marshal Arjan Singh had taken part in World War II and commanded a squadron in some of the most difficult air operations in Burma and then in the battles of Imphal and Kohima. He also led the IAF during the 1965 war with Pakistan.
The late officer was honoured with the Marshal of the Air Force rank in 2002. The IAF honoured him on April 14, 2016, his birthday, by naming the Air Force base at Panagarh as Air Force Station Arjan Singh.
Late Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh DFC was the first and the only ‘Five Star’ rank officer of the IAF and was a keen lover of the game of Hockey. The IAF legend has always been an inspiration to the Air Warriors and lead from the front not only in the field of battle but also in sporting activities. The first ‘Marshal Arjan Singh Memorial’ All India Hockey Tournament is being conducted by Air Force Sports Control Board, New Delhi to honour the great air warrior.
To propel the awareness of Hockey and also to reinstate its prominence, a national level tournament uniting 16 teams (eight elite club teams of the country with another eight teams from the armed forces and para military forces) is being held at Chandigarh from 07 to 12 May 18. The matches will be conducted at 3 Base Repair Depot (Air Force) and Sector 42 Astro Turf Hockey Grounds at Chandigarh.