SSB recommends a candidate who possesses or is likely to possess 15 character traits, which are termed “officer like qualities” (OLQs). You may often face the question, “Do you have it in you?” while referring to any books or even advertisements.
Here it means whether you possess the 15 OLQs in yourself. The SSB tests the OLQs of a candidate. They are 15 Character traits that an individual must possess in order to be a successful military officer.
The 15 OLQs Officer Like Qualities are:
- Effective Intelligence
- Reasoning Ability
- Organizing ability
- Power of Expression
- Social Adaptability
- Sense of Responsibility
- Self Confidence
- Quickness of Decision
- Ability to influence
Earlier I have written an article about How to improve your personality through various tips not referring to any OLQs. Here we shall discuss how we can develop each of these OLQs in ourselves.
- Effective Intelligence: It requires a practical approach to life. Try to solve every problem yourself without waiting for anyone. By doing so, you can have such practical intelligence that you can find solutions for everything.
- Reasoning Ability: Here you must be able to find a reason for everything. It also refers to your ability to solve various complex situations. Here Practice pays a lot.
- Organizing ability: You can develop this quality by taking part in various competitions like drama, skits etc. Try to volunteer yourself for stage decorations etc. In-home too, try to have an organized lifestyle.
- Power of Expression: This needs a lot of Practice. You may know everything, but poor communication skill ruins your chances. So try to improve your speaking skills too in an organized manner prioritizing the matter. Such an approach is essential to luster your performance in SSB and even in other interviews too. Here you must improve your language too. You must be able to speak in lucid, refined English. Regular practice is essential to have good pronunciation and speaking skills. Try to talk in English wherever possible. Speak with men who have good speaking skills, have a Good Dictionary and of course, listen to English news and songs.
- Social Adaptability: This requires your hearty co-operation. Try to meet and speak with people. Try to shed your shyness. Try to make friendships with the unknown (not with anti-socials). Always try to initiate talk with someone. Be ready to sacrifice your personal comforts for the interest of the group. Try to be an active participant in all the activities of the school, college, or organization you belong to.
- Co-operation: Here too follow the above instructions. But here you must be ready to associate with an unknown person. Try to be sociable and adaptive. No leg-pulling is a must.
- Sense of Responsibility: You must be ever ready to accept responsibilities. SSB is not a place for irresponsible idiots. You must be cheerful and must be ever ready to fulfill your assignment at any costs even at school, NCC, or even at Army ( For service personnel).
- Initiative: Always take an initiative in everything. Give effective leadership by taking an initiative. Then you will be amazed to find that people will start to follow like mice following the pied piper. Always SSB wants a person who is ever ready to take an initiative and try to fulfill that assignment. The initiative is the most essential quality of a Leader.
- Self Confidence: Self-confidence is essential for success. Believe in yourself, and your skills. Believe that nothing can ever stop you from achieving your goal. But remember there is just a Hairpin distance between overconfidence and confidence. Overconfidence will ruin you. But have confidence in yourself and undertake every task assigned to you. Taking part in competitions would certainly increase your confidence level.
- Quickness of Decision: A field commander must be able to take quick decisions at a short notice. You must be able to take a quick, effective decision at the right time. Playing games like Rapid Chess improves your decision making abilities. Playing strategy games or military games like Call of Duty etc. would certainly decrease your decision making time. But you must have a good foresight too. Try to think of the demerits and merits before doing anything. Then you will make a perfect decision.
- Ability to influence: This needs a robust personality. You must be able to invoke inspiration in everyone because of your personality. You may read my former article about personality to improve your personality. Remember all great leaders owned inspiring personalities.
- Liveliness: Always be active and cheerful. No one likes a lazy person. Remember an idle mind is devil’s workshop ( pls never misinterpreted it ideal mind J). Try to be an active participant in all activities (only nice activities J).
- Determination: Here you may need to read a lot. Because reading the biographies of several brave patriots would certainly invoke great determination in you. Remember determination is the keystone of success. Determination can also be cultivated by taking part in competitions.
- Courage: This is the inborn quality of an individual .But it can easily be cultivated. You must not be afraid of anything in the world (Pls not exceed this fearlessness to accidents, personal safety). Genuine courage can be cultivated through determination and confidence. Go ahead, nothing can stop you. Whenever you feel fear, just remember the courage of our heroes like Lt. Saurabh Kalia, Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Netaji, Vakkom Abdul Khadar, Vikram Batra etc. Always keep in mind that a brave dies only once while a coward dies many times in his life.
- Stamina: This is the OLQ which SSB grants certain concessions. But however you must maintain yourself fit and strong by doing regular exercises, playing out door games etc. Try to develop strong biceps and hip muscles which will be helpful in SSB.
Dear Aspirants, you should understand one fact that SSB tests are designed in such a manner that it brings out your real personality and the characters which you try to conceal.
SSB is not at all a competition. Our Jawans are so simple and loyal that they blindly follow the instructions of their commanders and hence it is important to see that they are directed by a deserving person.
The best way to tackle the hurdles of SSB is to remain normal, natural, honest and friendly throughout your stay at SSB. Even if you lack any of these qualities, you can try to develop it in you. Best of Luck to all. If you feel any other effective way to develop these Qualities, please type in the comment box below