Below you can find important sports current affairs from October 2013 which will help you in various competitive exams. Also, you may face questions from various sports events during your personal interview at SSB. So here we are presenting few notable sports current affairs and events from October 2013 for current affairs preparation.
- Afghanistan Qualified for ICC Cricket World Cup 2015:Afghanistan Cricket team on 4 October 2013 qualified for its maiden ICC World Cup after defeating Kenya by seven wickets at World Cricket League Championship in Sharjah. With this win Afghanistan also became the 20th team to gain entry into the tournament overall.
- England to host inaugural World Test Championship in 2017:-The International Cricket Council announced its much awaited World Test Championship which will have its inaugural edition in England during the month of June and July in the year 2017 while the second edition will be held in India in 2021.
- Virat Kohli became India’s Fastest ODI Century Scorer: – Virat Kohli became fastest century scorer (in 52 balls) of India on 16 October 2013 in One day International (ODI) held at Jaipur. He was the seventh fastest century scorer in ODI in the world. He made the fastest Century in ODI’s against Australia in Jaipur on 16 October 2013. Virender Sehwag was the second fastest century scorer (60 balls) in One day International (ODI) in India.
- North and South Zone Declared Joint Winners of Duleep Trophy: – North Zone and South Zone were declared joint winners of the Duleep Trophy 2013-14 after the fifth day’s play of the final match was called off due to bad weather in Kochi. Harbhajan singh captained the North Zone team and South Zone led by Abhinav Mukund.
- Mumbai Indians Defeated Rajasthan Royals to Clinch Champions League Twenty-20 – Mumbai Indians clinched the Champions League Twenty-20 title by defeating Rajasthan Royals by 33 runs in New Delhi.
- Novak Djokovic Clinched his 4th China Open Title; Defeated Rafael Nadal. Novak Djokovic won the same tournament earlier in 2009, 2010 and 2012
- Sania Mirza won the China Open tennis championship trophy (women’s Doubles) with Cara Black of Zimbabwe in Beijing. They defeated Vera Dushevina of Russia and Arantxa Parra Santonja of Spain. The Indo-Zimbabwean pair was eighth seeded.
- Women’s single title in china open was clinched by Serena Williams of US by defeating Jelena Jankovic of Serbia. Top seeded Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentine defeated third seeded Milos Raonic of Canada, to win the ATP Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships in Tokyo.
- India’s lawn tennis player Rohan Bopanna with French partner Edouard Roger-Vasselin won the Rakuten Japan Open tennis championship (Men’s Doubles) in Tokyo. The fourth seeded Indo-French pair emerged victorious against the Briton-Australian pair of Jemie Murray and John Peers in one hour and 17 minutes.
- Novak Djokovic defeated Juan Del Potro to win Shanghai Masters 2013.
- Indian shooters bagged 37 medals at 6th Air Gun Shooting Championship which concluded in Tehran, Iran on 26 October 2013. This includes nine golds. They also won 12 silver and 16 bronze medals. Eight of the gold medals were clinched in the junior and youth categories. Kapil Kumar (10m Air Pistol Jr. Men), Samarjit Singh ((10M Air Pistol Youth Men), Malaika Goel (10M Air Pistol Youth Women) and Sanjeev Rajput (50M Rifle Prone Men) won individual Gold Medals.
- Former junior national champion, Tanvi Lad finished runners-up at the Swiss International Challenge badminton tournament after suffering a straight-game defeat against USA’s Beiwen Zhang in the women’s singles competition in Switzerland.
- Kalapana Devi on 5 October 2013 won bronze medal at the Judo tournament in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. It was India’s first IJF Grand Prix medal. Competing in 52kg weight category, Kalpana defeated Zarifa Sultonova of Uzbekistan but lost to Gili Cohen of Israel. However, Kalpana jumped back to medal contention through repechage round, where she got the better of Brazilian Raquel Silva.
- Pakistan won Under-19 Asian Rugby Championship 2013
- The Disciplinary Committee of the Badminton Association of India (BAI) on 5 October 2013 recommended a life-ban on Jwala Gutta for her role in delaying the Indian Badminton League (IBL) fixture between Delhi Smashers and Banga Beats in Bangalore on 25 August 2013.
- Indian women pair of Vidya Pillai and Arantxa Sanchis won the gold for team title in the 2013 IBSF World 6-red Snooker Championship after defeating Hong Kong in the final at Carlow, Ireland on 6 October 2013.
- Legendary batsman Sachin Tendulkar on 10 October 2013 announced his decision to retire from Test cricket after playing his landmark 200th Test match against the West Indies in November 2013
- Indian Wrestler Satyavrat on 12 October 2013 won the 9th Roustam-E-International Indian Style wrestling title at Vivekanand Sports Stadium, Katra after he defeated wrestler Mykhalio Datsemko of Ukrain in the final bout. Wrestler Satyavart was awarded Silver Gurj, Patta and cash prize of one lakh rupees and the runner up got cash of 50000 rupees.
- Top English Premier League side Liverpool on 16 October 2013 launched a residential football academy in Pune in partnership with city-based DSK Shivajians FC. The academy was named as LFC International Football Academy DSK. It will have a world class residential complex, full size pitches, practice areas, classrooms, residential, medical facilities, lecture theatre and canteen.
- Former India bowler Ajit Agarkar on 16 October 2013 announced Retirement from all forms of Cricket.
- Hockey India on 15 October 2013 announced the appointment of Terence Walsh as Chief Coach of the Senior Men National Hockey Team in New Delhi.
- Ding Junhui of China won the 2013 Indian Open Snooker title with a 5-0 victory over Aditya Mehta of India in New Delhi on 18 October 2013.
- India’s ace Squash player Dipika Pallikal on 20 October 2013 won the Macau Open title at Macau, China.
- Delhi bowler Pradeep Sangwan was on 19 October 2013 slapped with an 18-month ban from cricket after being found guilty of consuming a banned anabolic steroid by the Anti-Doping Tribunal of Board of Control for Cricket in India.
- The Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) on 21 October 2013 unanimously elected Kanwar Deep Singh as the president of the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) for a four-year term. He was succeeded by Dinesh Reddy, Andhra Pradesh’s Director General of Police (DGP).
- The BCCI on 26 October 2013 terminated Pune Warriors from the IPL after the Sahara-owned franchise failed to pay its payments and refused to furnish the bank guarantee for the next season. The decision was taken at the Cricket Board’s all-powerful working committee meeting. BCCI wanted the team to furnish a bank guarantee of 170.2 crore rupees to remain a part of the league next year.
- Sebastian Vettel, the Red Bull driver on 27 October 2013 won the Formula One Indian Grand Prix 2013 at Buddha International Circuit. This is the third continuous victory of Vettel in the Indian Grand Prix. This is the tenth victory of the season of Vettle and thirty sixth victory of his career. He won the race almost 30 seconds ahead of NIco Rosberg of Mercedes. Romain Grosjean of Lotus was placed at third position.
- Fifth Edition of India International Regatta Competition Inaugurated in Chennai:-fifth-edition-of-India-international-regatta-competition-inaugurated-in-chennai. The India International Regatta (IIR) Competition is the only International sailing event held in India every year.