Gallantry awards are those kinds of awards which are presented for exceptional courage, valor and dignity. In India gallantry awards are presented to the personnel’s of the forces for their exceptional bravery. Gallantry awards are basically of two types with each type having three awards each.
- War Time Gallantry Awards: They are given during wars or battles. These awards are given for the valor shown in the battlefield in the face of the enemy.
- Param Veer Chakra: It is the highest war-time gallantry award, given for the uppermost height of fearlessness or forfeit during wars or battles. It was started on 26th January 1950 that is Republic Day by the Indian President. It came into result from 15th of August 1947 that is Independence Day. Awarded to officers or listed people from all categories of the Indian Armed forces. A total of 20 Army personnel and one airforce personnel has been awarded the PVC till now.
- Maha Veer Chakra: The Maha Veer chakra is the second highest military decoration, given to the act of braveness performed during war. It can
be awarded to anyone from the services who shows exceptional act of valor in the face of enemy. More than 155 acts of bravery and selfless courage have been recognized since the inception of the medal. The most MVCs awarded in a single conflict were in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, when eleven were given to the Indian Air Force.
- Veer Chakra: This is also awarded for bravery in the battleground. It is third in preference after the Param Veer Chakra and Maha Veer Chakra. It is also given to anyone from the services that have performed an act of valor and sacrifice in the face of enemy.
- Ashok Chakra: It is the highest peacetime award given for valor and bravery away from the face of the enemy. It is awarded for the “most conspicuous bravery or some daring or pre-eminent valor or self-sacrifice” other than in the face of the enemy. The decoration may be awarded either to military or civilian personnel and may be awarded posthumously. It is equivalent to the Param Veer Chakra. A total of 58 Ashok Chakra’s have been awarded till now.
- Kirti Chakra: This is second in the order of precedence of the peacetime gallantry award. It is awarded to anyone from military or civil who has shown bravery and act of valor of a certain level away from the face of enemy. Only one Soldier has been awarded boththe Kirti Chakra and the Ashok Chakra, making him the most decorated soldier (for bravery) in India; Col N. J. Nair. Kirti Chakra is the peacetime equivalent of the Maha Veer Chakra.
- Shaurya Chakra: It is third in the order of precedence of the peacetime gallantry awards. It is also awarded for valor, courageous action or self-sacrifice while not engaged in direct action with the enemy. It may be awarded to
civilians as well as military personnel, sometimes posthumously. It is the peacetime equivalent to Veer Chakra.
- Param Veer Chakra Awardees-The pride of the Nation
- 21 Signs that You are a Fauji at Heart
- Military Officers Social Etiquette
- Required Officer’s Like Qualities for US Army and Marine Corps
- Difference between Cavalry, Artillery and Infantry