Training academies are responsible to give pre-commission training to cadets. There are various training academies for different Armed Forces, in India. There is one tri-service academy which acts as a feeder institution for these academies, this tri-service academy is NDA, Khadakwasla. Read on to know 10 interesting facts about officers training academy Gaya.
1. Officers Training Academy, Gaya is the third pre-commission training academy of Indian Army (after OTA, Chennai and IMA, Dehradun). It is the youngest of the three, having been established in just 2011.
2. It trains the cadets of 10+2 TES Entry and SCO Entry.
3. The academy is located in Paharpur, Gaya, which falls on the route of Gaya to Bodhgaya. It’s next to International Airport, Gaya and very close to the international tourist destination of Bodhgaya.
4. Gaya cantonment is on amongst the few oldest cantonments, dating back to World War II; when it served as headquarter of the British Army.
5. The motto of the academy is ‘Shaurya, Gyan, Sankalp’.
6. A Gentlemen Cadet undergoes rigorous military training for a period of one year at OTA, Gaya. A continuous, quantified, structured and systemic training is imparted and GCs are assessed in major discipline such as officer qualities, service subjects, physical training, drill, academics. They also undertake mutual assessment.
7. Wednesdays and Saturdays are two days on which various club activities take place. The club activities include skill at arms, dramatics, music, art & craft, golf, riding & polo, aquatics, squash & tennis, photography and cyber club.
8. During the mid-term, cadets are sent to hikes to various other training academies, to give them a broad view about the working and functioning of the military.
9. The total duration of the training is 23 weeks.
10. The academy currently has the capacity to train 350 cadets.