TAT is the most important part of SSB. It shows the summary of your personality. And being the most crucial part of SSB, most of the candidates make mistakes in this test leading to their rejection. Firstly, there is a pattern of writing the story. Candidates have to follow that and add their points in that pattern. Below are the points to follow while framing a story in TAT and PPDT (screening).
- Introduction of hero – Your first reaction after watching a picture in TAT must be to identify the hero. The hero must resemble to you in all situations. This means that in a story, you have to make him do what you do. You have to give your response in the situation shown in picture, by taking hero as medium. The hero must also be introduced in the story, i.e. His name, what currently he is doing and from where he belongs. Don’t describe his address and his place of residence.
- Identify the problem – Every picture in TAT has a problem. Either the problem is shown in open, or it will be hidden in the picture. If you can’t find any problem, then make a story showing enjoyment and happiness. You can also make a story by seeing any problem related to the picture. But keep it simple. Don’t add devastation, deadly crisis or extremely negative story. Your story must revolve around your hero solving that problem.
- Figure out your plan – For solving a problem, you need a plan. You don’t have to describe your plan in the story. Just implement it. Planning must have the perfect use of people around you, resources and must go with time.
- Check resources – Every problem has a solution. But utilizing resources can help you in solving the problem in less time, more easily and reduces the efforts. Some resources are visible in picture and some are to be assumed as per the area of action. Correct use of resources also matters a lot in framing the story.
- The Solution must be practical – The solution that you have for the problem must be practical and should solve the problem completely. If the solution is incomplete or non-practical then your story is useless. And remember one thing, a problem is never solved at once. Several minor problems always emerge while you are solving the problems. Psychologist wants you to mention them and how you tackle them to reach the climax. This shows your social presence and practical knowledge.
- Depict qualities by work rather than words – Your work must speak about your qualities. Adding words like dynamic, hardworking, active, all-rounder in your story and shown no desirable action, is a hype creating personality. You must do your task without pointing qualities. And remember, don’t reward your hero at the end. This is reward seeking attitude.
Some basic things to remember while writing story are –
- Don’t make a dominated hero.
- Commanding only is not an OLQ, get involved in the task
- Don’t make an excessively negative story.
- Be socially active and practical
- Make a normal story rather than any action sequence.
To crack the AFSB and SSB interview, we recommend you to get “Let’s Crack SSB Interview” book from Amazon.
Always remember –
“A true leader comes out of the crisis and problems”