Defence Secretary RK Singh announced on Saturday that the first two Tejas Mark 1A indigenous fighter jets are expected to be delivered to the Indian Air Force (IAF) by the end of September, marking a significant step in Indiaโs push for defence self-reliance. The announcement came during a fireside chat at the NDTV Defence Summit.
โThe intent is to provide enough visibility to HAL to perfect this platform. About 38 are already in service, another 80-odd are being manufactured; 10 of them are ready, and two engines have been delivered so far. Hopefully, the first two of those are going to be delivered with weapons integration this September,โ Mr Singh said.
The Tejas Mark 1A is set to replace the MIG-21 as a workhorse of the IAF. HAL is expected to integrate Indian radar and weapon systems, ensuring operational readiness alongside the Sukhoi fleet.
Mr Singh underscored the โMake in Indiaโ push in defence, emphasizing that self-reliance is a strategic imperative to maintain Indiaโs autonomy. Since 2014, India has focused on meeting the bulk of its defence requirements domestically, with 75% of capital expenditure now spent on domestic production, while foreign manufacturers must invest in India to qualify for orders.
On drones and modern warfare, Singh highlighted lessons from Operation Sindoor, noting that Indiaโs air defence systems performed effectively. He added that the civilian drone ecosystem has grown but achieving military-grade drones requires significant effort. โCritical technology will not be shared at a high rate. We must focus on Indian designs and development,โ he said.
Reflecting on his role during Operation Sindoor, Singh admitted he was slightly tense on the first day but maintained regular updates on events and losses. He said the operation inflicted maximum damage on adversary targets with minimal Indian losses, underlining Indiaโs precision and strategic preparedness.