Here I am discussing how can you join the Indian Coast Guard as an officer, aspirants should know that the selection procedure is very same as the procedure of Army , Airforce and Navy, yes here also you have to go thourh the Services Selection Board Interview. Hope you are happy to hear about 5 days long hard work can make you an officer in Indian Coast Guard. All the data is taken from indiancoastguard.nic.in the official site of ICG. Please visit their official site for more and latest information.
About ICG [ Indian Coast Guard ]
Indian Coast Guard is an armed force of the union for enforcing the maritime laws of the country. Service in Coast Guard is not merely an employment; it is where you play the most important role of protecting the national interests of your motherland. The Coast Guard has dedicated and professional team of officers and men who operate ships and aircrafts for safeguarding county's maritime interests in the Indian EEZ. The life of Coast Guard officers and men is a happy mix of many things: hard work, professionalism, risk and adventure and the opportunity to move around and visit different places within India and abroad and to meet a variety of people. Good pay and abundant perks are supplemented by a constantly improving job satisfying versatile career.
What are the different Posts ?
Officers General Duty Branch: This is the operational branch of the Indian Coast Guard. Command of Ships at sea can only be exercised by officer of the General duty branch. As a General duty branch officer you will operate weapons, sensors and perform the command function which demands a wide sphere of knowledge of your equipment. The safety of your ship and men, maneuvering of your ship in war and in peace time operations will be your responsibilities.
Pilot: Indian Coast Guard operates fixed wing aircraft from shore Air stations for surveillance of the Exclusive Economic Zone. In addition, helicopters are embarked on Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessels to provide local surveillance and perform Search and Rescue mission at sea. Operating these aircrafts at sea is challenging task and will bring your special skills to the fore. As an officer of the Pilot branch, you will have opportunity to serve both in the shore Air Stations along the coasts of India, as well as embark ships.
Technical Branch: Modern ships and aircrafts are abounding with advance technology and machinery. In the Technical branch you will be responsible to keep all these equipment serviceable. You will also get opportunities to work in shore jobs in Coast Guard repair organisations. In very few other careers will you be exposed to such a wide spectrum of opportunities to keep yourself abreast of modern developments in Engineering. Your carrier will be interspersed with technical training courses up to Post Graduation level.
Women in Coast Guard: Women are recruited in Coast Guard only as officers in General duty, General Duty (Pilot / Navigation) and General Duty (CPL Holders, Short Service entry) branches. The selection process for women is similar to that of male candidates. The women officers are posted in non sea going appointments. Unlike the other Armed Forces, the women officers in Coast Guard have the option to serve till superannuation, except for CPL holders and General Duty branch- Short service appointment.
Rank and Pay Structure
- Assistant Commandant Rs. 15600-39100 with Grade Pay Rs 5400/-
- Deputy Commandant Rs. 15600-39100 with Grade Pay Rs 6600/-
- Commandant(Junior Grade) Rs. 15600-39100 with Grade Pay Rs 7600/-
- Commandant Rs. 37400-67000 with Grade Pay Rs 8700/-
- Deputy Inspector General Rs. 37400-67000 with Grade Pay Rs 8900/-
- Inspector General Rs. 37400-67000 with Grade Pay Rs 10000/-
- Director General Rs. 37400-67000 with Grade Pay Rs 12000/-
The pay would include Dearness allowance, Kit Maintenance allowance and Transport allowance. In addition other allowances will be admissible based on nature of duty/place of posting such as flying allowance, sea duty allowance and Island special duty allowance.
- Entitled rations, medical cover for self and family including dependent parents.
- Government accommodation for self & family on nominal license fee.
- 45 days Earned leave and 08 days Casual leave every year with leave travel concession for self, family and dependent parents as per Govt. rules.
- Insurance cover of Rs.40 lakhs at a premium of Rs.4000/- per month as Group insurance.
- Contributory Pension Scheme, Provident Fund and Gratuity on retirement.
- Canteen and various loan facilities.
- Sports and adventure activities such as river rafting, mountaineering, hot air ballooning, hang gliding and wind surfing etc.
How can I apply ??
- The recruitment of Asst. Commandants is conducted bi-annually.
- The advertisement is given in leading national newspapers in both Hindi as well as in English in the month of Jan/Feb and Aug/Sep.
- The shortlisted candidates are called for Preliminary Selection (PSB) as per their choice of centers from Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata , Delhi, Kochi, Vizag and Port Blair.
- The PSB consists of Mental Ability Test and Picture Perception and Discussion Test (PPDT).
- The candidates who qualify PSB are called for Final Selection Board (FSB) at Mumbai/Chennai/Delhi.
- The candidates, subject to their medical fitness are selected as per merit list.
Liked this post?? please appreciate it by liking and tweeting, subscribe for more posts below.