Interview would be the most important round in any entrance or selection exam where you have to deal with different variety of questions. But interview in our SSB is the easiest test that has been created. You just need to revisit your own life and important events of life. Interview is primarily personality based and you should know the art to drive interview as per your pace. I have been a mentor and a counsellor for defence aspirants from last five years and I can easily see that people are afraid of SSB. I cannot understand why aspirants have this feeling. I accept that Interviews go long for about 30minute to about an hour or even more, the process at SSB if fool proof and it’s a long way of assessment to select the best of the best. But you should be fully prepared and should analyse your personality through self-introspection first. Once you are aware of the fact that you have some OLQ’s and some weak areas start working on them and then only go and attend SSB.
Personality changes cannot be taught in two weeks, first full analysis is done and then personality changes are suggested which takes times. So I would request aspirants to start a bit early and don’t wait for the last moment. The following are few tips to perform well in Rapid fire rounds of PI:
- For rapid fire you have to be patient enough to hear the interviewer and don’t just rush to answer the questions. Rapid fire rounds test many qualities of the aspirant all together so behave in a proper manner.
- Once the interviewer stops then start answering. Don’t mistake to cut the interviewer and start answering in between. Also follow the sequence in which the questions are asked.
- There is always a link and a sequence in which the questions are asked to try to learn and guess that sequence rather than cramming the questions itself, as that might distract you and you will get nervous.
- In the mocks that I have with my mentee’s I ensure that this is well practiced and every time a new set of interview question is being asked so as to make them ready for all types of situations. Similarly I will request all aspirants to practice well in time.
- Also there should be proper synch between your personality, psychology , personal interview and GTO for recommendation, then only one personality is projected. Keep this in mind and work accordingly.