If you are an Indian army aspirant and want to join the Indian army special force PARA as an officer, here are some details for you on how to become a PARA commando as an officer. The Parachute Regiment consisting of PARA and PARA (SF) battalions is the elite volunteer force of the Indian Army. Because of its specified role, the regiment needs to be kept at an optimum level of operational efficiency and physical fitness. Towards this end, this specially selected manpower should be comparatively young, physically fit and mentally robust, intelligent, innovative and highly motivated so as to successfully accomplish the assigned operational tasks
How To Become a PARA Commando – Officers
1. For gentlemen Cadets of IMA and OTA: Pre Commission. Volunteer GCs from IMA/OTA will be commissioned at the scale of two officers per battalion per year. These officers will be allotted a parent regiment by MS Branch.
2. For Officers serving in the Indian army [Post Commission] : Officers from all Arms and Services can volunteer for the Parachute Regiment subject to them having less than five years service on the day they volunteer, being in medical category SHAPE-I and being graded `EXCELLENT’ in BPET. These officers will retain their affiliated to their Regiment/Corps (as parent regiment).
How to Apply for PARA Special Force
Officers will forward their application in duplicate to MS Branch (MS-2) duly countersigned by Commanding Officer with a recommendation of higher HQ (one up). The application of volunteer officers including those from AMC will NOT be withheld at any level, even though the officers in the chain may not recommend the same.
Probation Period During PARA Special Force Selection
- All ranks (Officers and PBOR) Volunteering for the Parachute Regiment will undergo probation in respective units, as under
- PARA Bns : 90 days
- PARA (SF) Bns : 180 days to include continuation training.
- All ranks who do not qualify in probation will be reverted to their parent regiment.
- Parachute Jump Training. On successful completion of probation, all ranks will undergo Para Basic course at PTS, Air Force, Agra, on successful completion of which they will be permanently absorbed in the Parachute Regiment. All ranks who do not volunteer to jump will be reverted to their parent Regiments.
- Permanent Absorption. On successful completion of probation, the PARA/ PARA (SF) battalions will take action for permanent absorption of the individual through Record Office, The Parachute Regiment. All individual documents will accordingly be forwarded by unit/Record Office concerned to the Parachute Regiment Record Office.