No matter how much a candidate is prepared for the SSB, he/she will always be facing some or the other kind of problem when in SSB. The reason being very simple that the place, procedure and the people are new. There is immense pressure on the candidate to perform, and all of that when the stake is their career, and their dream. However the board leaves no stone unturned to help the candidates and provide them a comfortable stay and good food, yet there are some problems which a candidate may face, and the board might be unaware about it.
- All new customs: When a candidate goes for SSB, he has to face all new customs. Be it the fall in, the various new terminologies or the new style of living. It is true that before going to SSB we live our life in a different way, and in SSB it is different. This is very rapid transition and has to be adapted in a very short span of time.
- Terminologies: A lot of the candidates come from a civilian background. They get amazed and confused at the new terminologies which are used in SSB. These are normal terminologies for the people in the board and for those who are from the background of Armed Forces, but not for those who are coming from a background different than that.
- Non-Compatible Group Issue: We may be kept with a group in which nothing we find common. We feel isolated or may have a different mindset and thus a difference of opinion with others. Since we have to do most of the task with this group only, it is a problem.
- The bully guy: In your group there may be a person who is a bully, who will force you and the group to agree to his/her terms and conditions. You have to bear the consequences and carry on with this person.
- And the dork: There may be a person who may be a dork, totally socially inept and contemptible. We have to carry around with this person too.
- No phone issue: When our life totally depends on our phones it is hard for us to stay without them. Not only for the cut-off communication issue but also for our basic needs like alarm clock, time etc. The most important things is we refer to the internet as and when we want to look for the things we need to read or study. Staying without phones is an issue definitely.
- Waking up: Okay so just mentioned above that phones are our necessity and waking up without the alarm clock becomes an issue. Of course, there are loudspeakers in some centers yet the problem remains which is getting up early.
- Getting lost in the book-outs: We are without phones and so are our other group mates. When we go out, we go out in a group, we stick with each other and in case one of the person gets lost, it is almost impossible to locate him, so the only way remaining is meeting back in the SSB center. We feel we are in the stone age almost.
- A Battle between right and wrong: With no clues and no words about the center officially, we depend on various sources to prepare for our SSB. We hear so many versions that we get confused that what is wrong and what is right and which one to follow.
- Getting intimidated in the conference: When we enter in the conference hall, there are scores of officers sitting in their uniforms. We get intimidated by their personality.
Although none of these problems are big enough and they can be resolved easily, by our efforts and judgment.