Greetings to our readers, we have been receiving emails regarding some elementary doubts in the SSB selection procedure. So, we have decided to clear all the doubts one by one by reiterating the procedure from the basic level. Today, we will be discussing the Thematic Apperception Test (TAT) in detail. The Thematic Apperception Test is the first test of the psychological test series in the SSB interview.
Now, the dictionary meaning of ‘Apperception’ is as follows “the mental process by which a person makes sense of an idea by assimilating it to the body of ideas he or she already possesses”. In other words it is a psychological test which brings out the inner (hidden) thoughts of the individual which he/she might not normally reveal.
Thematic Apperception Test: METHOD
The candidates are made to sit in a big hall with a projector screen; all the candidates are given a booklet. A hazy picture is shown at the screen for 30 seconds; you are required analyze the picture in the 30 seconds given and frame (write in the booklet) a story around the picture in the next 4 minutes, then again you are shown a hazy picture for 30 seconds and you are required to write a new story based on the picture shown. This procedure continues till the eleventh picture and after that a 12th and final picture is projected which is generally a blank one in which you can write whatever story you want to write.
This is a time based approach which reveals the inner self of an individual quite easily. The test is based on the theory that in the construction of stories around hazy pictures, the candidate organizes material from his own personal experiences, partly as a result of the stimulus that he receives (what he finds in the picture) and partly his association with stimuli recalled from his past experiences. The psychologists read your stories and frame an opinion about your personality. As one doesn’t know how he has performed in the psychological tests, it often becomes a hard nut to crack for the aspirants.
Thematic Apperception Test: KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER
- THE HERO: – Each story must have a hero or the chief character with whom the writer identifies himself and who should exhibit qualities which an officer in the armed forces should possess, He should act and behave like a normal human being and not like a Superman or Spiderman.
- Apart from the Hero, you must identify other characters in the picture that help the hero in the execution of the task.
- SITUATION IN THE STORY:- Your story should contain the following features
- What was the picture all about or what is going on in the picture?
- How it came about or what events led up to it?
- What will be the outcome or inference?
- THE PLOT:
- It is an attempt by the hero, assisted by the other characters to organize the story by utilizing all the resources at his disposal in order to successfully solve the problem.
- It should be pleasing and end successfully.
- It should be self evident. The reader must not be in any doubt in the end of the story.
Thematic Apperception Test: FINAL COMMENTS
- Relate your story to the picture; you must frame the story around the characters and the situation shown in the picture. Digression from the picture will be termed as ‘wishful thinking’.
- Identify the problem in every story and go around getting it solved by the hero, who in turn uses the available resources to solve the problem.
- It is advised that if the Hero is of your age, then it becomes easier for you to relate to him and write a story. However, it is not necessary.
- Please do not write MEMORIZED STORIES. You will be caught as the memorized story won’t conform to your personality. Listen to the stimulus in your mind instead.
- It is advised that you practice writing 10 stories daily within 4 minutes to increase your writing speed.
Thematic Apperception Test Sample Picture
Candidates can write a story on this picture and post it in the comment box.
Well, with this we conclude this article. We hope that all the doubts regarding the Thematic Apperception Test are clear now. You may give your opinions and views on the comment box below. Keep following SSBCRACK. JAI HIND
This story between a mother and hos son Manjit.Manjit was graduate from university.but he did not have any job.Manjit was fond of social work.He helped his villager people always.He spent most of his timd on social work.His mother always angry on his social work and worry about his unemployment.One day during his his social work he meet a rich businesman.This man inspired by Manjit’s thinking and thought.That man gave Manjit good salary job.
The story is about Umesh who used to be a carefree, aimless youth from a very conservative family..His father was a railway contractor …His mother always insisted him on preparing well for competitive exams to secure a government job ,but in vain given his ‘not so serious about career’ attitude..One day his father fell sick and was diagonized with a serious heart condition which is mostly due to his brooding over his son’s future and other financial issues…Seeing his father bedridden for months , his family running short of income and his mother’s silent tears , Umesh realizes that he has a responsibility and then has a change of heart…He seriously prepares well for various government exams and finally secures a respectable job that ends his family’s woes
Ramesh and his younger brother Ashish living with their mother in a town in west bengal, as Ashish who was a civil service aspirant, and with his great hard work recently crack the exam and got selected as an IAS OFFICER, her mother and Ramesh were very happy initially but as he is leaving his family for a year for training Ramesh and her mother are little upset. But from inside they are very happy and managed their feelings.
Ramesh his younger brother Ashish and their mother live in a town in west bengal, standing in room with little sadness, as Ramesh’s brother ashish who was a civil service aspirant, and with his great hard work recently crack the exam and got selected as an IAS OFFICER, her mother was very happy initially but as he is leaving his family for an year for training she was little sad because she was loves her younest son Ashish very much. But from inside she was very happy and managed her feelings.
Sanjeev when was studying graduation his father expired suddenly. He was only child of his parents. Bimala, his mother was so depressed for the sudden incident. They were not so much affluent. His mother was thinking about her son’s future. But Sanjeev make his mother assured and he join a job and pursue his graduation from night college. In the exam. he did very well. After that he complete his Phd. and got a good job. Naturally he makes his mother happy and proud of him.
Sandeep was living with his family in a small village. His father was a farmer but his father died in an accident. Because of this his mother became very ill due to emotional and financial condition. Sandeep felt very bad and decided to do part time job, assisting her mother and studied hard. Following this routine he became good at studies. After completing graduation he appeared for bank exam and became a probationary officer and could make situation better.
well here i see two charaters umar and his mother shama. his mother has a small tailor shop in village and it was the only earning source for them . umar father had died in an accident and he was a teacher in village school. umar wanted to persue his further studies in bangluru but he is the only son to lookafter his mother so he decided to join police department and started self preparation for it and finally became police inspector and prouded her mother
It’s a story between a boy and her mother.
The Boy Ramu is in the village working as manual labourer and her mother is the house care taker.
Her mother got cancer and Ramu couldn’t afford the treatment and decides to enter world of crime. He confronts his mother who say “It’s better to die proudly than live in sadness”.
The curtain falls.
It is a story between a mother and his son. In it the boy want to marry a girl. But his mother is not agree with roots marriage. So the boy called the girl to his home to talk to meet with his mother. The mother saw the girl is very good in nature so she agrees for the marriage.