The Group Planning Exercise also known as the Military Planning Exercise is the second task in the GTO task series. The military planning exercise deals with identifying problems and finding their most viable solutions. As an officer in the armed forces, you will face many unforeseen problems. You will have to think at your feet to solve those problems. Hence, to gauge the potential of the candidates to think logically and effectively at the spur of the moment, this method is employed. The military planning exercise is one of the most challenging and intriguing tasks of the GTO task series. Therefore, a good performance in the GPE (Group Planning Exercise) will set the tone for the rest of the tasks.
Group Planning Exercise CONDUCT
The candidates are made to sit in a quadrangular fashion having a sand model in between. The GTO will brief you in detail about the markings, pictures and dimensions in the model. After acquainting you with the model, he would read out the narrative of the problem. After reading out the narrative he will give everyone an individual copy of the narrative to read for about 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, you will be required to write the solution of narrative problem in a sheet of paper. You are free to write in whatever way you want to. You will be given 10 minutes to pen down the solution. The sheet of paper will be collected by the GTO when the 10 minutes elapse. After this you are required to have a group discussion amongst yourselves. You are required to come to a common group solution and for this you will be given 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, GTO will ask one of you to give the group solution by pointing out to the model. After this the GTO will give his own thoughts and suggestion about the problem.
Group Planning Exercise KEY SUGGESTIONS
- Listen to the GTO carefully, make a mental picture of the problem in your mind and start finding solutions.
- Clarify all the doubts from the GTO before writing your own solution.
- Write your solution with confidence. Be clear with your ideas and approach. There is no right or wrong solution here.
- Make a mental note of all the minute details in the model. They will come handy while solving the problem.
- Identify all the possible resources at your disposal; generally all the problems are easily solvable if the requisite resources are identified.
- During the group discussion you are required to support the group to formulate the best possible plan. Hence, do not always stick to your own opinions for the heck of it.
- If someone has a better idea than yours, accept it and contribute your bit in the group.
- Generally, the GD in the GPE is chaotic and no group solution is formed. Try to avoid this phenomenon by urging your group members to be more cooperative.
SUGGESTED METHOD OF WRITING THE INDIVIDUAL SOLUTION
- Identification of problems at hand: – Enlist the problems which you have found out in the narrative.
- Resources Available: – Write down the number and description of resources at disposal.
- Prioritize problems: – Give numbers to the problems priority wise. Assign number 1 to the problem which is most grave in nature, number 2 to the next and so on.
- Solution: – It is advised that the solution is written in point form. Also take note of the time and distance while writing your solution. It is advised that all the problems are solved simultaneously by dividing the task among the manpower available.
This is just a suggestion regarding writing the solution. You may try out other novel and ingenious ways of writing a solution.
Sample Group Planing Exercise Map
You are 8 students from city Deer had gone for boating on the riverside. You had parked yourself on the southern side of the river at a point A. While your friends were boating, you were going to village Tiger to bring drinking water. While crossing the Railway line, you notice that one fish plate of the Railway line has been found completely removed. A boy came running to inform you that he overheard 5 terrorists planted a powerful road mine to kill the Chief Minister who will be passing in one hour time. The terrorists were hiding in the nearby jungle. At the same time, one villager came to inform you that a tigress has mauled 2 young girls and they are lying unconscious in the jungle. Just then another man informs that his haystack was on fire and wanted your help. There is a Police post and a PCO in Vill Lion. A messenger from PCO enquires your name and informs that your mother is seriously ill and your presence is immediately required. When you start moving, you see a young beautiful daughter of Pradhan of Vill Tiger, who was walking along with you, just slips and falls in the ground well. But you do not know swimming. The Vill Pradhan has got 5 guns with him. The train will pass through your location at 1600 hrs. A half an hour bus service is available between cities Deer and Bear. A number of carts are available in Vill Fox. There is a motor boat which can travel at a speed of 10 KM per hr. Time now is 1415 hrs. You have got a jeep with you,being a young and brave students what will you do ?
It is a wrap in today’s article about Military Planning Exercise. It is really cherishing to see myriad aspirants following our site and trusting us in their journey to become the guardians of the frontiers of our nation. I salute the spirit in you. JAI HIND