In our quest to clear all the basic doubts regarding the SSB testing procedure, we bring to you another installment. This time we will be shedding some light on the Word Association Test (WAT). The Word Association Test is the second test in the psychological test series. It is conducted immediately after the Thematic Apperception Test.
Word Association Test : METHOD
In the same projector screen where the TAT pictures were shown a word flashes conspicuously for 15 seconds. You are required to see that word and write down the first thought which comes to your mind in these 15 seconds. It is advised that one writes the response in a sentenced form. After the 15 seconds, a second word flashes on the screen for another 15 seconds and you have to write another response. This cycle continues for 60 words. In short you have 15 minutes for 60 words. As the time is quite less, the original thoughts and ideas come out through the sentences you associate with the word flashed.
The words in Word Association Test are not just taken at random. These are specially selected and sometimes, arranged in a particular pattern or group so that the psychologists may be able to come to conclusions about these responses to enable them to assess the candidate’s personality. With the help of this test, the psychologists understand or get a fair idea of the candidate’s personality, his likes and dislikes, his achievements, his emotional attitudes and temperament.
Word Association Test : POINTS TO REMEMBER
- It is not a test of language or grammar, so do not worry about the beauty of the sentence, concentrate on the correct ideas.
- You are advised to write the first idea which comes to your mind when you see the word. Try to remain natural
- Avoid using phrases or short forms. Try to form a complete sentence
- You are not required to define or convey the meaning of the word. You are required to associate the first thought which comes to your mind with the word.
- Please do not memorize readymade words.
- You can use the same word or you can use its derivatives. Eg- happy, happiness, happily
- Write positive constructive and meaningful sentences.
- Do not write negative and anti social responses.
- Try and write short sentences to come up trump with the time.
You should write reactions that show the good qualities of your personality, your strong points and not your weaknesses. The psychologists are looking for qualities of leadership in the candidates.
Word Association Test : EXAMPLES (ACCEPTABLE)
- SORROW: – Joys and Sorrows go hand in hand in life.
- Fail: – Failures are an essential ingredient of success.
- Honour: – There is no greater honour than serving the nation.
Word Association Test : EXAMPLES (UNACCEPTABLE)
- SORROW:- It is difficult to lead a sorrowful
- Fail: – Failure is an unfortunate incident.
- Honour: – I always work to get some honours in life.
Word Association Test: Sample Words
Candidates can write few sentences on the words given below. Post your rin the comment box below.
With this we come to the end of our article. As a final comment, I would request every aspirant to practice atleast 20-30 words daily but do not mug up readymade responses. Keep visiting ssbcrack.com. JAI HIND